Friday, June 6, 2014

THM Boeterkoek (S)

Two of our friends lost their mothers this past week and I wanted to DO something, so I went to the kitchen. I made boeterkoek (butter cake). Both have Dutch heritages, so I thought it would be something a little special and different to eat with a cup of coffee when they have some quiet time, some pondering time.

The edges did get a little dark.

As I was working on it, I began to think that I could perhaps make this into a Trim Healthy Mama treat for me to enjoy too.


This recipe is my first try at it. It tastes delicious! It was still warm when I had my first piece, so it was quite crumbly. It does come out in one piece once cooled, but it is still crumbly -- and moist which is good because that means I didn't put in too much coconut flour. I find it make things very dry.


1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup coconut sugar (or substituted equivalent of a THM approved sweetener)
1 egg, lightly beaten ( think I will add a second one next time to help hold it together better hopefully)
1 1/2 tsps almond extract

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
Sliced almonds for top (optional)

Stir together butter and sugar until smooth. Add almond extract and beaten egg and mix until smooth. In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Pour into wet and stir gently until evenly combined. Pat into lightly greased 9" round cake pan or pie plate. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Bake at 350F for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown and center does not look soft.

If you make any changes to the recipe please let me know!  I'm very open to improvements!

No comments: